Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The way it should be

2100 miles and 3 days later I have arrived back in central Pennsylvania. After spending the last 2 days catching up on sleep, I felt it was time to go hit a mountain stream close to home with the hopes of catching some wild Brookies.

This is exactly what I needed to relax. This past semester has been a stressful one, I have been trying to figure out what my career goals really are, trying to put some money away for a rainy day, and my classes were on the tough side. I honestly do not think that there is a better way to relax than watching a beautiful 8 inch brookie take your dry fly off the surface. Well here are a few of the better pictures from today.








The wild trout ranged from 3 inches up to 9"

I also picked up a few stockies in the 9-11 inch range left over from the spring stockings. I really wish that this stream would be taken off the stocking list so that it can be protected a little better. This would without a doubt be a Class A stream if it was not stocked.

Another great part of the day came while I was working a little riffle. I knew there would be a fish holding in this little pocket. the first drift produced a take and after the short little battle, I brought this little gem to hand.
In the 10+ years that I have fished this little freestone stream, I have Never caught a wild brown. Not only did I catch this guy, but a few holes later I caught another a few inches larger. Sadly I dropped him while unhooking him and didnt get any photos. Either way, this was pretty special to me, because I love brown trout. Some would be furious about this and say that the fishery is ruined but I feel differently.

On a side note, I was trying to achieve my goal of catching a few toothy fish on the fly rod this morning on a local lake but the stars didn't align. I had one really nice chain pickerel about 19 inches or so on a for a few few and that was it. It hammered my streamer, and I have no idea how I lost him.
Hopefully I can make it happen next time I am out.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures man. Glad to see you catching those pretty fish!

    ReplyDelete