Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gear review

Well I decided to do a gear review on what has been my favorite rod this year. Towards the beginning of 2011 I snapped one of my better rods and needed a rod to replace it. I made the Drive to Cabelas with the hope of finding a rod under $100 that i liked. Being in college limits how much I can spend on gear. Especially after buying waders and wading shoes, a new chest/backpack combo while also satisfying my love for bass fishing with a bunch of new baitcast combos, I knew I needed to stay on the cheaper side. I ended up buying a Three Forks rod manufactured by Cabelas. I bought the 8'6'' 5 wt and absolutely love it.
For me this Rod has been great. I have used it for a full year and its been a solid dependable rod. Cabelas specs on it classify it as a medium fast action which I feel is spot on. the rod has a really good backbone and is alot lighter than some other rods in its class. The wraps and reel seat are nothing special but are much better than the plastic versions on some rods in the same price range. It isnt as light as my Redingtons, but again it isn't heavy by any means. I have no problem casting the majority of flies with it. I do wish that I would have gotten a 9' version now that I fish Idaho more often. The 8'6'' was perfect for Pennsylvania but I do wish I had that extra 6 inches out west. The epoxy used to attach the reel seat isn't the best and I did have it come out on a really warm day but after I but it back in with epoxy it hasn't given me any issues. This is a common issue with these rods. I have two friends that have them and experienced the same issue.
I do not have any affiliation with Cabelas and am not getting paid for this in any way. I just love their products and service and am very impressed with this fly rod.

I also was just down to the Cabelas in Hamburg and picked up one of their new WR2 fly reels, I have been switching my current reel from my Redington SV to the Three Forks and back and wanted to get a reel for the Three Forks. I was very impressed with this reel and fell in love with it. Its an all aluminum reel with a rulon disc drag. all for $30. The color of it is pretty sweet also. The amount of reel for the price was a selling point for me as i just bought a new car and am really strapped for cash currently. I will report back about the reel after I use it for a few months.
Also went to the Local Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg for the Spring Fishing Classic and stocked up on $60 double taper fly line for a one day only price of $9.99

2 comments:

  1. Good review. Nice to read a review on a product that is affordable to the average guy or gal. Sometimes I read reviews that make me "want" what they are writing about, but, just can't go the big ticket price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You. I have to agree with you, I love seeing reviews on great high end products but when its all said and done the reviews that I truly care about are the ones on things that I can actually afford at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete